Saturday, September 8, 2007

FoxForward - Day 2, Part 1

Did I mention I'm in Atlanta? Perhaps the best thing about this conference for me personally is that the hotel serves Coke, not Pepsi. :)

I got up on time and got set up for my 8:00 session without any trouble. There are two "big" rooms and one small room. I was in the small room. There are about 56 people here including speakers. I had 2 in the room at 8:00. (It was early, right?) Before I got started one of the attendees said that reason she was at this conference was to see my session. (No pressure there!) She's working on an international application where color-coding regions based on certain values would be beneficial. We looked at the MapPoint site and it doesn't look like MapPoint Europe fully supports Ireland so she might be out of luck.

A few minutes into the session I was up to 5 people.

The session went ok. My newly rebuilt tablet wasn't quite as snappy as I'd hoped for, but it did ok. (My impatience and double clicking slowed things down too) Everyone stayed until the end except for Kevin Cully who had to go get ready for his session or run the conference or something like that.

We had some great questions and discussion during the session and it helped me remember why I think MapPoint is such a cool, underrated tool.

Although I really just wanted to sleep, I went to see Brian Marquis' Fox Trails session which discussed his approach for VFP web development which is based on concepts from the Ruby on Rails framework.

For the third session this morning I went to Tod McKenna's Data Warehousing with VFP. Tod's session was great and targeted at people like me who have only heard of "Data Warehousing." Tod did a really good job of explaining the concepts behind data warehousing and showed several examples of VFP code that is used in the process. If you've never seen an "intro to Data Warehousing" session, I'd highly recommend Tod's session. (I'm also going to recommend that he get on DAFUG's agenda at some point in the future.)

Next up - lunch.

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

At September 10, 2007 at 2:28 PM , Blogger Garrett said...

Heh. Nice to know that I wasn't the only person with 8:00-session-attendance problems. :-)

 
At September 17, 2007 at 5:14 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Steve,

I was one of the attendees at your session and enjoyed it very much. You mentioned that you would be providing source code for us to look at. I am in the middle of a project right now (I flew to Bermuda to work on it with my co-worker) and would greatly appreciate some source that I could study.

Thanks,

Joyce

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home