Saturday, September 8, 2007

FoxForward - day 2, part 2

FoxForward 2007 - Alpharetta, GA USA - September 7th-9th

I had lunch with Tod McKenna, Michael Babcock and Paul Ray. I got the chance to ask Tod more about his session and his background. Tod has great ideas about Data Warehousing and what it means to VFP developers. As usual, the conversations outside of the sessions can be as valuable as the sessions themselves.

Subversion - Garrett Fitzgerald

Garrett gave us a soup to nuts session on Subversion.

I have to tell you, my initial reaction was "yuck." Although I've had my share of troubles with VSS, I'm not sure I'd ever chose a tool that required command line setup and configuration.

Garrett did a good job of explaining the differences in approach between VSS and Subversion in terms of check-in and check-out behind the scenes. He also talked about how the revision numbers are handled differently. (VSS: 1,2,3, Subversion doesn't need to be sequential.)

Ok, I can't take anymore - I'm a GUI kinda guy - Subversion is not for me. Hey, the guy in the front row just said "this could really use a GUI front end." Garret mentioned that there is an API so it could be done.

Between VSS and Source Off Site I'm happy. It was a one time investment and it pays off a little more often that it should!

Off to the last session of the day - and it's mine.

Labels: ,

4 Comments:

At September 9, 2007 at 8:54 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

TortoiseSVN makes subversion the easiest to use version control system I've ever had the pleasure of using. Don't count Subversion out until you've used it with TortoiseSVN.

 
At September 10, 2007 at 2:27 PM , Blogger Garrett said...

Oh, don't worry, I told them about TortoiseSVN -- I just had to pull it in out-of-order when VFP renamed one of my files. (That's why I used Notepad throughout in the Sunday morning session, grrr....)

 
At September 13, 2007 at 1:22 PM , Blogger Unknown said...

Garrett, I must confess that I didn't stick around long enough to see TortoiseSVN as I wanted to head over to the room where I was giving the next session.

 
At September 20, 2007 at 4:14 PM , Blogger Garrett said...

Very understandable: I couldn't concentrate on the talk before mine, either. :-)

Give TortoiseSVN a shot, though: you can even use it to download scX!

http://tortoisesvn.net/
http://paulmcnett.com/scX.php

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home